Pages

Tuesday 15 January 2013

Hand Quilting

I found a great tutorial on hand quilting by Sarah Fielke whom was a co-author of my favourite quilt book titled Material Obsession.  As mentioned, this book has inspired me on many levels with my love for quilting, hand quilting being one of it.  I had hand quilted a few quilts, of which consisted of 2x baby, 1x lap and 2x queen sizes (one queen being work in progress).  I have only started machine quilting recently and I have to agree with Sarah that the 'look' and 'feel' of a hand quilted quilt feels more personal and warm in comparison to one that was machine quilted.  However, having said that, I have also found some simple machine quilted quilts that have worked wonders to the look of a quilt for example quilts by Rita at Red Pepper Quilts.

As a beginner to the quilting world, I think it is inspirational to have examples of different quilting methods/techniques so that we can experiment with it.  I feel this helps me in the process of finding my own rhythm and style, and to understand what enhances the design of the quilt.

Hand quilting

Hand quilted quilts:
Summer Loving Quilt (work in progress)

Hand quilting tutorial:

No comments:

Post a Comment