Pages

Monday 7 October 2013

Madeleine's Quilt

A finished quilt for my god-daughter and also first out of three projects that I hope to finish by end of the year.
Bind

I am really happy with this quilt though it took a while to get it together.  The colours of this Full Moon Lagoon palette is so beautiful and bright that no amount of pictures can justify the intensity of the colours even though I might have over 'IG' it on my Instragram feed lol!

Bind quilts

Full Moon Lagoon was my choice of fabric as my god-daughter, Madeleine loves the beach and her favourite colour for now is pink.  The little 1" corner sets were pink fabrics that I had in my stash, most were from Heather Bailey's Nicey Jane fabric line, Hope Valley by Denyse Schmidt and Midwest by Amy Butler to name a few.
Bind quilts

The quilt top did take some time to piece together as the little corner sets took a fair bit of time to cut, piece and trim.  However, once I got into the routine, it all came together quite nicely.

Bind quilts

Even though I am happy with the quilt top, I am still undecided on the quilt back.  When I embarked on making this quilt, I was on a strict fabric diet so I had to find what I had on hand to make the backing.  Sometimes I like it because of the scrappiness but other times I wished I could have and should have used a nicer backing fabric.  However, it is kinda nice not to have that 'perfect' fabric and just sew with what I have.  I am also on a 'use it' now fabric mode instead of hording it and keeping it for that special quilt.  Every quilt is a special quilt in my opinion.

Bind quilts

I used a solid pistachio coloured cotton linen as binding to keep it simple as not to 'overcrowd' the overall design.  I think it frames the quilt rather nicely too.

Bind quilts

I have also quilted it in simple straight lines - a double 1/4" lines on the horizontal and single 1/4" lines on the vertical which I thought will least distract from the gorgeous fabric

Bind quilts

Bind quilts

Quilt facts:
Finished size: approx 64" x 76"
Fabric: Full Moon Lagoon by Mo Bedell for Andover fabrics, Emma Louise in solid White, Fuchsia cotton linen, Nicey Jane by Heather Bailey, Hope Valley by Denyse Schmidt, Midwest by Amy Butler
Quilt backing: Bijoux Swirly Buds in Gold and Tangerine by Heather Bailey, Hoo's in the Forest, Cotton linen in Pistachio, Brown and Fuchsia
Binding: Cotton linen in Pistachio
Batting: 100% cotton

Bind quilts
Thank you for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Woooow, this is really unique and beautiful. I really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! I'm glad I saw this on your pinterest- I hope to make a version on it myself!

    ReplyDelete